Browse the glossary using this indexSpecial
get sacked /ˈɡetˈsækt/
to lose your job because you perform badly or do something that is against the rules
- He got sacked for repeatedly being late for work.
gifted child /ˈɡɪftɪdˈtʃaɪld/
a child who is naturally very clever
- From a very early age it was clear he was a gifted child and he ended up doing his final high school exams at a very early age.
go down in history
go down in history /ˈɡəʊˈdaʊnɪnˈhɪstri/
be remembered and recognised in history
- The Beatles will go down in history as one of the greatest bands ever.
go on strike
go on strike /ˈɡəʊɒnˈstraɪk/
describes when a group of workers decide not to work for a short amount of time to protest against conditions, pay etc.
- The workers of the mining company went on strike to protest against the low pay they receive and the dangerous conditions they have to work under.
greatly appreciate /ˈɡreɪtliəˈpriːʃieit/
to be very thankful and happy for something
- I greatly appreciate all the help you've given me with my essay.
growing disparity /ˈɡrəʊɪŋdɪsˈpærɪti/
an increasing difference between two things
- There is a growing disparity between the rich and the poor in this country.