Browse the glossary using this indexSpecial
rampant inflation /ˈræmpəntinˈfleɪʃən/
Inflation that is rising dramatically and is out of control
- Despite desperate attempts to control the country's rampant inflation, the value of the currency continues to plummet.
renewable energy /rɪˈnjuːəbəlˈenədʒi/
energy which comes from a source that does not run out
- To solve the problem of climate change, I think more governments should invest in renewable energy.
rising unemployment /ˈraɪzɪŋʌnemˈplɔɪmənt/
the state of having more and more people who do not have a job
- The government have been heavily criticised for the country's rising unemployment rates.
rough idea /ˈrʌfaiˈdɪə/
Having a general idea about something, but not being sure of some of the details about it
- I have a rough idea of what I want to study at university, something relating to business probably, but I am not exactly sure what course.
run-down areas /ˈrʌndaʊnˈeəriəz/
poor areas of a city which have not been looked after by the local government very well
- It's a good idea to avoid the outskirts of the city, as there are several run-down areas with high crime rates.